Over the centuries, sa Dragonera was a strategic point in the navigation of the first Phoenician civilisations, the landing of the Christian colonisation, constant attacks by pirates, smuggling, the traditional uses of natural resources (falconry, “orxelleria”, basketry and charcoal production) and even real estate speculation.
Despite seeming inhospitable and wild, this small island is full of life. Its settlement has left behind pictorial traces over the centuries, such as lighthouses, watchtowers, lime kilns, wells and freshwater caves full of ceramics. Visiting the island is a temporal journey where you can learn about the passage of its people and the constant reinterpretation of the use of its resources, according to each historical context.
The lighthouses of sa Dragonera
Far de na Pòpia o Far Vell
The «Old Lighthouse» is Su Dragonera’s first Lighthouse, it was built in 1850.
In order to build it, the Pòpia tower had to be demolished. Unfortunately, clouds and fog frequently obscured the Lighthouse, so it was dismantled in 1910.
Construction on the Tramuntana Lighthouse began in 1907. It is located 54 meters above sea level, with a tower of approximatively 11 meters in height and a light that reaches 20 miles in distance.
Far de Llebeig
The construction of the Llegeig Lighthouse began in 1905 and in November 1910 it was put into operation.
Tthe Tramuntana and Llebeig Lighthouses were automated in 1960 and 1971, and in 1975 the lighthouse keepers stopped living full-time at Sa Dragonera.
Starting in 1995, solar panels began to be used to generate electricity.